Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Runner's Anemia

Had my annual flight physical this morning, and had a little unexpected run-in: runner's anemia. I was floored: really? Having largely eschewed red, beefy meats recently and increasing my vegetable intake (also, my Lean Cuisine diet...), I thought I was on the right track. It turns out there were some things I had not considered.

Here is a brief description from the blog How 2 Run Fast:

"Studies indicate that about 20% of long distance runners are suffering from Runner’s Anemia. Many of them don’t know it.  They have iron levels that are lower than normal, may experience fatigue, and suffer diminished performance in training and in races.
There are several potential reasons for Runner’s Anemia:
  • Increased blood volume resulting from training
  • Foot strike hemolysis - destruction of red blood cells caused by your feet hitting the ground
  • Loss of iron through sweat and urine
  • Blood loss through the gastrointestinal tract
  • For women - blood loss from menstruation
Although none of these factors are a major cause for concern, it’s important to have your doctor rule out other, more serious potential causes of blood loss.

I found out that I had Runner’s Anemia a few years ago.  My doctor told me that my hemoglobin and serum ferritin levels were low and that analysis of my red blood cells showed that they were smaller than normal and pale in color.  He recommended a colonoscopy, which ruled out any serious causes of internal bleeding. 

I’m a regular blood donor, donating between 4 and 6 units of blood per year (58 units lifetime). At my doctor’s recommendation, I took a break from donating and started taking (65 mg) iron tablets.
Over a several weeks, my iron levels returned to normal and my training improved.  I still donate blood, but time my donations around my marathon race schedule. 

If you have been feeling run down, you might want to have your iron levels checked.  Don’t take iron tablets without a doctor’s recommendation, as there can be side effects to taking too much iron."

Bottom line: If you're a runner, you should be seeing a doctor at least twice a year. Not to complain, but just to get checked out. Having your blood tested (not doping-style) is imperative because--unlike eyeballing your urine or stool content (sorry, gross)--you need a microscope and a medical degree to determine any irregularities.

When it comes to cardiovascular fitness--priority number one for distance runners--good, healthy blood is the main component. Help keep yourself strong by keeping your blood up to specs. Get yourself checked out.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment